Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Educate yourself.


I have been constantly reading articles, research, books, etc about wellness in general. From toxins, gluten, chemicals, nutrition, you name it. I am slowly becoming very educated in this area. I have always eaten pretty well. But, I am slowly transitioning into a gluten free diet. First off, I know how awful gluten is for you. Especially for a baby whose brain is still developing and well- I just don't want to take the risk.

Everyone should read up on http://gaps.me/ and it explains how a poor gut flora as a newborn could lead to issues down the road. Poor gut flora comes from the mom and grandmother and this can be given to the baby. If the baby is receiving vaccines at birth, not being breastfed etc and their baby has a poor gut flora, this links directly to ADHD, Autism, learning diabilities, mood disorders, allergies, eczema, schizophrenia, tummy aches etc. Most don't know, but your gut and your brain are connected and it is very important to realize what toxins, and foods go into your gut, affect your brain. So having a baby, I really think this is crucial to their overall well-being. Also, the GAPS test can be done at birth and it is $180 dollars. It is non invasive. The urine, stool is tested. It can tell you right away if the baby's gut flora is good or not. It has a lot to do with their immune system as well (your gut and brain are connected) and if the test comes back poor-baby's should NOT receive vaccines at all until their gut flora is healthy. If they do, this has a very negative impact on the baby- Some develop these issues I mentioned above later down the road. So Moms and future moms, take care of your gut because it WILL be passed on to your baby and the numbers in ADHD kids and Autism and other disabilities will increase, and statistics will rise. Stop the cycle now! I only wish I knew this when I was pregnant-although I ate a pretty organic, healthy diet- I still would have benefited knowing this information.

Fact: Purchasing from bigger names such as Tyson, Egglands Best etc are not good choices. They pump their cows, chickens, pigs etc with hormones (this is why girls are starting their periods a lot earlier these days) and steroids that YOU and your children are ingesting. Milk, Cheese, Eggs, Meat need to be organic to steer away from the toxins and additives in their foods.

Moving forward...

I've cut out a lot of gluten, but I think I'm going to cut out all wheat for good in our family's diet. Its too hard on tummies to digest. There are no health benefits from wheat, or the whole grains a lot of healthy ads push. No benefits. The fiber can be maintained through other food sources. Gluten free diets are nothing but beneficial to everyone. I feel good knowing Levi is eating really well and the foods he eats will keep his insides clean and toxic free. I still have a few foods I need to transition into organic, GMO free and I should be on a good path.

Also, I've researched a lot on cleaning supplies-the chemicals in them are just too dangerous. So I looked up natural cleaners and its amazing how things you have at home already can do the job. i.e.-hot water, vinegar, lemons, etc. http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm Scroll down to homemade cleaner solutions. SIMPLE!

Skin care. Too many chemicals as well. I've already switched Levi to Baby Bee (Burts Bees) and Josh and I use Burts Bees Citrus and Ginger body wash. 99% Natural. I've had a hard time with Shampoo and Conditioner because I have very thick hair. So right now I use Suave-With rosemary and mint. (I'm still looking for an all natural product that works) For moisturizer, we mostly use pure 100% Coconut Oil, which already has AMAZING benefits period. Levi uses Baby Bee lotion as it really helps his dry patches he gets sometimes. http://www.treehugger.com/htgg/how-to-go-green-natural-skin-care.html

The list goes on and on: Sunscreen, Plastic toys and bottles, Public Places etc. Every parent is their child's advocate and it is our job to keeps as many toxins out of our children-since we already live in such a toxic world- and keep them healthy and keep ourselves healthy.

Goals: (Personal)
My next areas that need change are pretty simple.

Drink warm water with lemon every morning. (I struggle with this. Its easier to grab ice cold water)
Prepare detox water in a pitcher for every day.
Get a better purifier.
Replace one meal a day with a green smoothie, or Juicing.
Go to a whole foods store once a week for items on my grocery list that aren't sold at the local Kroger. (Lunch meat, Beef) I've cut these out of our diet, but I simply can continue these if I go to Whole Foods/Trader Joes!
Freeze organic fruit so I have it during the off seasons.
Take my Omega supplements daily.
Continue getting fresh air every day, and Vitamin D 10-15 minutes a day. (This is easier with the warm weather, but it is also very important for our brain health)

How to shop Organic on a Budget: Check out this: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=740
A lot of people immediately say buying healthy is too expensive.
There are ways to shop on a budget by simply cutting out the processed foods and referring to the dirty dozen. http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-214 The most contaminated foods should be organic and the least contaminated don't always need to be organic. Think about what your family eats the most when it comes to berries and vegetables. Those should be organic. Also, seek out local natural farmers markets. The prices are very affordable and you know exactly where your food is coming from.

No comments: